Sunday, January 9, 2011

Getting into a routine!

I am happy to say we are acclimating to life here Phnom Penh…We have some wonderful WONDERFUL people to help us…their families are great and we really feel like the people helping us are family.  They come and go and I sort of feel like I have my brothers and cousins around again.  The house is always bustling with someone cooking, picking up a baby, folding clothes or just sitting around and laughing!

We’ve found a few playgroups.  It’s a little bit different here.  At home when I had a playdate, I went.  Here, it’s the nannies…so the boys and I…coupled with one of our nannies, head out and play.  I try new food, meet new kids and get out of the house!

014 015 016 020 021

I’m also adjusting to the food…er, well…I’m at least trying it.  I didn’t each much of anything but Cafe Fresco, peanut butter and rice the first month…I am now eating a lot more of the local fare and I am enjoying it…but part of me is not!  I’ve had some sort of “food sickness” for the past week…but Jim swears it will pass if I just stick with it…nonetheless…It IS helping with the last bit of twin pregnancy weight!  One of my favorites…for 1500 reil (about $.37) I can get an iced coffee with cream…in a bag with a straw!  Delish!  Sure beats $3.50.  The local girls are teaching me where to go and how to shop!

Now that we’ve been home for a few days, both boys are rolling over and sitting on their own.  Trevor’s first tooth is finally out of the skin, so he is now sleeping better (that was another “issue” during our stay in a hotel…cutting a tooth!)  Even with colds, my boys are wonderful and smiley!  They are 5 months old TODAY!  Where is the time going?  Unofficially, Trevor is 21 pounds and Brandon is just under 20.  (No wonder my shoulder is killing me).

038 039 040 046 047 052 054 055 056

We also took the time to look at a few schools last week.  While I LOVED the Phnom Penh Montessori School…it’s TOO TOO far away from home…we would have to meet at the Central Market and he would get on a bus and get to school…for 3 hours of school, it was an hour for him (2 hours for me) of travel…here is the school…if they were just 10 minutes closer…we’d be there!

024 025 028 029

The school we finally decided on is The Giving Tree:

http://www.thegivingtreeschool.com/welcome.html

They are close to home, have a great curriculum with swimming lessons every week in a 1 1/2 foot deep pool with 3 instructors to 5 children, yoga classes each week and outdoor play to start the day (Z’s favorite way to start the day).  At this point in Zachary’s school career, Jim & I agree that it is most important that he have fun, learn manners and sharing and enjoy school time.  So, starting Tuesday morning at 7:30, we will be knocking on the gate to get some outside play time in!

On the Dada & Mama front…we got a date night in…AGAIN!  We were craving some Mexican food and apparently the best Mexican food is at a “girly bar” called Sharkies.  While most “girly bars” employ the “girls”…this bar lets them freelance.  Yes, I learned all this on my date night.  Let it be understood…there were other couples in there that were ex-pats as well…having some tacos and beers…it was just a little live entertainment for Jim & I to be able to view other “couples” who weren’t really “couples”…saw a lot of beautiful girls…cannot say the same about the men!  We did enjoy getting out, visiting and doing more catching up…a year apart gives you lots to talk about!

While we miss our friends, family and home (and don’t forget Nordstrom, Target & Starbucks)…we like it here.  We like the people, our 37 cent coffees, our big home and just being together.

1 comment:

  1. Boys are so big and cute! We miss them. The boys look happy, you look happy. I'm so happy you have settled into your new life. And I am exstactic you are reunited with your hubby. I'm happy for you girl. We miss you...

    ReplyDelete