Saturday, January 15, 2011

All in a day!

When I first got to Cambodia, I was thankful for growing up in Alaska…well, this Alaskan girl now has to sleep in with a tank top, long sleeves and long pants in the tropics…BECAUSE the mosquitoes LOVE me…fellow King Salmonites…we ALL know the perils of living in a land of mosquitoes…but I’m telling you… “I AIN’T NEVER been eatin’ by bugs the way I have been here!”  Everyday, someone asks me what happened to my face.  Mosquitoes.  I get welts on my temples, under my eyes, on my cheeks.  They really do love me.  All the girls laugh at me because I am like a nervous nellie, scratching all over my body…I can’t help it…if it’s night time and I have any skin showing, they find it in less than 5 minutes.  (already, I have five new ones on my wrist and I have NO idea how a mosquito is sneaking up on this Alaska girl…and how are they surviving my coil bomb burning in my bedroom?  I mean I can barely breathe!):

009 (2)

…and another bug story…Zachary runs in to the house today and says, “Mom, a BIG grasshopper!”

003 (4) 002 (4) 001 (4)

Um, YEAH…that’s a VERY large grasshopper…in fact, I think it is a locust…it was missing a leg and stayed on the window all day!

…and as we were driving to the Market (let it be known that Zachary said, “Vichet!  Take us to the Lucky Market, please!”)…this came upon us:

014 (4)015 (4) 

…after the Market, Zachary tells Vichet he’s needs some juice…fresh, cold sugar cane juice!  Quite yummy:

017 (2)018 

…we got home, played with some toys:

020 (2)

…and Zachary had his afternoon dirty session out on street E.  Today he finally wore his crocs, but just those, some undies  & a t-shirt!  He’s got a few new dance moves he was showing off before he took off on his bike.  Like I said…WHERE oh WHERE is the time going?

025 (3) 024 (3)  022 021 (2)

Leak & I decided to take Z to the BIG park…you can buy anything you could imagine at the street vendors…dried octopus, pickled eggs, noodle salad (yummy), pickled mango, rotten clams (I don’t know what else to call them)…I was excited for some fresh roasted corn and my mangos with chili salt…but, we were kicked out of the VERY VERY VERY bustling park for causing too much of a raucous with the twins.  We thought and planned out and brought two blankets so I could sit on the ground with the babies while she chased Zach around the acres of park equipment, waterfalls and hundreds of children…but again, I forget how popular my twins are here, and because we were sitting there, too many people came over (about 20 bystanders the entire time we were there, just watching us, taking our video and pictures) and the security told us we had to leave.  I guess next time I will tie the BOB onto the Tuk Tuk and we can have our fans follow us around the park.  As we were leaving, Zachary got his kettle korn and snow candy (aka cotton candy) for $.50…and I got to smell the corn cooking!~  If Daddy gets home tomorrow, it’s off to see Sambo the Elephant!!!

2 comments:

  1. T- I don't know if it works, and if you even have any in Cambodia, but a friend told me (a fellow mosquito magnet) that if you wipe a dryer sheet on yourself and then carry it in your pocket, they stay away. Worth trying, I guess. Or buy a mosquito net...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nasty nasty bugs...I don't know how you do it! And that grasshopper. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete