Friday, July 8, 2011

My fill of rain…

NOT QUITE!!!  I LOVE this weather here…growing up in Alaska, I saw a lot of cold weather…and cold weather…oh, and some cold weather!  I’ve slowly thawed myself out over the years…first moving to Seattle in 1994, Portland in 1996, Palm Springs in 2005 and now, Phnom Penh in 2010…It is safe to say I am officially thawed!  After 21 winters in Alaska, my first winter in Seattle was like, “Wow…this ain’t so bad!  I can handle snow one time and rain!”…well, I talk about this because it explains why I love the rain so much…something about it…I was born in November, love the fall, the cozy weather that rain brings, enjoying a hot cup of coffee on a rainy day, the smell of a fresh rain, the way the trees look “just that much greener” after a rain…I just love the rain…In the tropics, we get rain almost every day…not an all day, pouring down, never lets up kind of rain (think Portlanders and Seattleites)…but a, it’s hotter than hell and sunny and right before the sun goes down, it is BLACK and rainy out!  Perfect!  Here’s my balcony as I sit and type this:

001

…and Jim & I were able to enjoy a “date night” BKK style!  We were surfing the paper on Friday morning and I saw, “Most imported beers in town”…OUR kind of place!  Didn’t really matter WHAT it took to get there…we were getting some imported beer, dammit!…We walked out of our hotel and there was literally a “creek” running down the road we usually walk on…(now I know why the hotel provides umbrellas in every room)…

092

The water was up to my ankles…jeans were rolled into capris and off we went!

093

They called this a pint…(well they damn well should have…it was 260 baht)…and notice how wet his shirt is…we walked a few blocks, caught a sky train, changed in one stop, caught another sky train and rode for 4 stops and then walked another 5 blocks…FOR THIS BEER!!!…was it worth it?  Yes…mainly because I love spending time with this guy…

096

…and our most recent date night in PP…as I said, as soon as dark hit, it was rain time…got the kids in bed and went local (put on a SWEATSHIRT in the tropics)…just so I could have a hood on my head caught a tuk tuk (notice the plastic all around me…it folds up in the sun and zips down in the rain)!!!

014016

…and out of nowhere, this storm caught us on a day a the pool.

017

Yet, I have NOT had my fill of rain yet…each time I love the smell, the sounds, the feeling of rain…I guess after “thawing out” in the desert for the past 5 years, this girl NEEDS some rain!  Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment