Friday, June 3, 2011

NOT a selling point…

So I have this love hate relationship with the vendors/stores/entrepreneurs here in PP…Everyone is selling something and I need stuff…while I am loving my experiences here…these are things that are not selling points for me:

  1. When I am looking at underwear and the ones I am holding are snatched out of my hands and replaced with THE largest beige (I can’t even call them nude), up to my belly button, covering my butt down to my upper thighs…the vendor then proceeds to  STRETCH them SEVERAL times as far as they will go, while shaking her head and snatching them back from me.  When I pick up the pair I previously had, I get a “OK honey, whatever you want, but there is NO WAY your ass is fitting into those” look.  WHATEVER!  (The first pair fit by the way)
  2. When I find a dress I want to try on…LET ME TRY IT ON…it has elastic…Yes, I am a “BIG FOREIGN GIRL”…but I assure you, I am not going to bust a seam trying to fit into a dress…I know my size (size M in the Western World…size XXXXL here in SE Asia)…I will NOT put a dress on that I think is not going to fit…who does that?
  3. BRAS…UGGHHHH…They ALL have this ridiculous wire on the side of your body, NOT the underwire, but a vertical wire between your arms and you breasts…I LIKE my breasts on either side of my body, thank you…NOT under my chin…and this is ONLY if I can actually find a size large enough that doesn’t look like a training bra…they have so much padding, like 3 cup sizes…I cannot wait for Hong Kong…I hope they have stuff for this mama!
  4. When I go into a store to look at stuff, I do not want to be followed around. Period.  I especially hate it when I rifle thru some hangers and look at an item and put back EXACTLY as found and that said follower is there in 2 seconds and readjusts everything I just did.  WHY?  I don’t know.  Annoying as hell though.  I am tidy, I put things back, I probably fold them better than they were folded.  This is a +1 for Jim because I hate shopping in “stores” now.  And just because I have NO idea why you are following me…let it be known that I am NOT going to steal anything…as you can CLEARLY see, NOTHING fits me!
  5. When I am getting my hair washed and dried by a local Khmer who does not speak English…she tells my nanny that when I am ready she has, “Very high quality hair color that can get rid of ALL THOSE GREY hairs.”  (of course, this is all before I am finished having my hair curled and 2 days later still cannot get the burned hair smell out…will NOT be going back, I’ll keep my grey hairs).
  6. I am 68 Kilos.  I exercise almost everyday.  I do not eat crap.  I chase 3 kids around.  DO NOT tell me I need to lose some weight.  I have perfect blood pressure, I fit into size 28 jeans, I wear a normal size 6 and I am WILL eat what I want…that is WHY I run.  So my nanny weighs 56 kilos 9 months pregnant…we are BUILT different.  I don’t even know what to say to you Dr.  How about YOU lose some weight?
  7. I don’t understand banking here.  If I deposit a check from Acleda in Cambodia TO Acleda in Cambodia…shouldn’t I just be able to deposit it?  Nope.  If it is written on an account in a different city, it takes 1 hour to deposit it because they have to “transfer” the money, and then they charge you a 1% fee for depositing a check drawn on them.  For the record, have switched banks. 
  8. I HATE negotiating.  Just give me a fair price and I will pay it.  When something should cost me $5, don’t start at $25, I will just walk away.  NOT WORTH THE TIME.

Those are my thoughts on shopping in PP for now.  Next time I will explain the things I love!  Time to head out for more shopping!!!!Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment