Monday, June 20, 2011

Another goes to School!

I have started something that I am enjoying doing!!!  Driving around the streets of Phnom Penh, you see school aged children all over the place doing anything but school during the day.  It’s not because they don’t WANT to go to school, but their family cannot AFFORD to send them to school…Public schools cost money here…it is not very expensive, but when your monthly average salary is only $100 per MONTH…$5 can take a big hit out of your budget.  Awhile back, you may remember that we started sending our tuk tuk driver’s daughter to school…well…

a few months back, I saw the cutest little boy sitting outside at Jim’s office everyday.  He was always friendly and smiling and saying hello…if I stopped to drop something off for Jim, he would get up and help me…He’s probably about 8 or 9…and I wondered who he was, why he had just shown up and why he was there and not at school…with the help of Leak, I determined that he VERY much wanted to go to school, but the family could not afford it…so…here is another child who gets to go to school:

026

He’s been going for a month now and was hanging out with his dad at the office yesterday (his dad is a security guard for the building).  He is VERY happy and VERY excited that he is getting to go to school!  The family is very thankful and it makes me happy that we can help a little boy go to school!

if you would like to sponsor a child, contact me…I have decided that I am going to try and make a difference in a few people’s life…you never know when what you offer is an answer to prayers…you never know the difference you can make if you never try…

1 comment:

  1. Teresa,

    You have started a fire that I hope you'll never be able to put out. This is a tremendous thing you're doing. Can you please put this exact post in a facebook note? I want to share your story but don't want people to have access to your blog if they don't know you. I have a feeling that you'll light a lot of people's generosity with your "small" but amazing spark.

    Way to go Chupchake! See, you always wanted to be a teacher. Maybe you rounding up these needy students is the first step. Where can we send some cash?

    ReplyDelete