Monday, October 31, 2011

Welcome to Cambodia!!!

My best friend thought she needed a tropical vacation about 6 months ago…I told her, “Heck…Cambodia is tropical!”…to which she replied she would lose 4 days in travel…to which I reminded her she would gain it ALL back when she went home and arrived at pretty much the time she left here…that international date thing is tricky!…So she booked a ticket and I have been COUNTING the days for her arrival…sadly for me…the counting to arrival goes MUCH slower than the time we actually got to spend together!…Alas, her trip has come and gone…but we had some WONDERFUL times together and it was so great to hear a familiar chuckle, tell a story without 2 hours of backstory, laugh about something 10 years ago, be reminded that she knew Jim loved me first, reminisce over the fact that her youngest (and my biggest fan) was younger than my oldest when we met…he’s now like 6 feet tall and 15 years old…yes…the days fly by too fast…but it is better than the alternative…so in a tribute to my best friend flying around the world to see me and cuddle my boys…here were our days!

I feel like I have to add this little disclaimer…as I looked through the photos, I realized I missed a lot of pictures that would be perfect to share here…it’s hard to believe, but life here just becomes common…and I don’t think about the geckos on the wall, or 6 people on a moto, or people driving straight at you on YOUR side of the road…I wish I had gotten more to share…but I’m happy I got something everyday!


Day 1:

Little Zachary could not wait to see his “Auntie Chupchake”…in fact when I addressed her as Tara, he would quickly get a little scowl on this sweet face and say, “Her’s not Tara.  Her’s Chupchake.”

009

Out on the river cruise after a pedi, hair wash and style (heavenly…ask her…she wanted one every day!~)

011022

While he remembered her and was very excited, the box of goodies she brought, including a Batman “Costumer” were a big BONUS in this little guys book…I thought she’d be POOPED…but not my Chupchake…she was ready to hit the town…well, sort of…I wasn’t ready to hit the town, so we went to Zach’s “Favorite BAR” (yes, you read that right)…Liquid.  He wore Batman and was the star of Street 278…even if they did call him Superman.

027


Day 2

We took it slow, ate out for breakfast, I had to kick some ass at the Pretzelzz Store (those employees were sorry they called me in when it wasn’t work time while my best friend was in town)…so we headed to the Sofitel for some R & R with just the two of us and Zachary…we noshed fries (since she’s a vegan, she has become a FF connoisseur…according to her, Sofitel are some of the best…in Phnom Penh!), sparkly drinks and cooled off!  We took her to our favorite little wine bar, the Aristocrat at Nagaworld…and let’s not forget the hooker bar, Sharky’s, where Jim took me for Valentine’s Day…(because Jim will say, “In my defense, you have to tell them that they have the BEST fish tacos in town.”…I’m doing it…and they DO have the best fish tacos in town…until they are coming out the next day.)

030

Aristocrat has Buy 1 Get 1 until 8 PM…gotta love THAT happy hour!


Day 3:

We had a little ride with Jimmy out to the Provence's and we were supposed to get to the Killing Fields…again (that was also on the agenda for Day 2…but like I said, was called into work)…I got car sick, we missed the fields, but us two…we still had fun!

031

Sooooo…I took her to my favorite little facial place…Derma MK…A perfect little bit of heaven for a facial!  They use great Dermalogica products, it’s CLEAN (a big plus here in Phnom Penh) AND they know what they are doing…don’t forget the 25% off, buy one get one deal they have going too…I made sure she got to get 2 facials in one week!


Day 4:

We picked Z up from school and took the boys to our favorite little “Outdoor Garden”…Le Jardin…at some hummus and other yum yums and played with the boys while we caught up!

032037


Day 5:

My BFF is such a trooper…I thought it would be fun to take a tennis lesson where is didn’t cost $95 or something ridiculous…so a couple of my girlfriends (we are ALL beginners) and I showed up at the Sofitel with a coach and he took us all on…it was a hot one out there and I forget that it has taken me THE ENTIRE last year to warm up to this weather…or rather, cool down…but she was a trooper and toughed it out!

038039041

We also took her to meet Sambo, but I guess even Elephants get a day off…so we trekked Wat Phnom (the center of Phnom Penh) and headed over to the Royal Palace!

046047048054057059068071078079

Got her her first taste of sugar cane juice…in a bag!

095

…and ended it at the Amara Spa…which is heavenly in EVERY way!  We had a 60 minute foot reflexology followed by a 90 minute East/West full body massage…we were putty by the end of the night!  …and let’s not forget the entire venture only put us back $45… if you haven’t had a massage at night…we say DO IT!


Day 6:

Well…this day deserves it’s own post…so I will give it that…let’s just say the day started out at 5:30 am…and was PERFECT in every way!

096097103


Day 7:

We were trying to fit in everything else that my bestie wanted and deserved…a little bit of shopping at the Russian Market (with all 3 kids…)…pedi’s to change to her blue toes back to red…another hair wash and dry…a visit to our new house…a visit to the S-21 Museum…her last facial…and let’s not forget, a little time in Cambodia exploring on her own!!!!!  (don’t worry Mama Trish…I sent her our with a phone AND with our trusted tuk tuk driver, Vichet!)

001002

A moto ride out for dinner…we took one and Jimmy took his own!

004

We went out to my favorite place, Café Metro, and then had the girls meet up with us for a night out!  We were busy…le Moon, Darlin’Darlin’…and Jim wanted ONE more at Liquid (he and Zachary share the same “favorite bar”!)

006008009

…and I can’t let this night be wasted without telling the best laugh of the night!  Tara was having a hard time keeping anything in her and just got to the point where she didn’t want to eat!  But a few french fries and 4 glasses of wine later…she was texting on her iPhone while rummaging through her purse and starting “freaking out a little bit…she didn’t have her iPhone!”…all of us just stopped and looked the iPhone on the table…next to her…with the screen still lit…LOVE YOU CHUPCHAKE!  She literally was freaking out about not having the iPhone WHILE she was texting on it!  Good giggles for all of us!


Day 8:

Farewell…these good byes do not get any easier…Zachary & I rode out to the airport with her and it was a tearful good bye…Zachary didn’t want to see her go…or he would have been OK going with her…either way…we love you and SO enjoyed having you here…

010013

Until next time…you will be in our hearts and we’ll have lots of good memories to share for a life time!  I love you…thank you for EVERYTHING…coming to visit…the goodies you brought…your laugh…your stories…your “Yes…let’s do THAT!” attitude!  Love you tons…

No comments:

Post a Comment