Friday, December 10, 2010

Thankful Alaska grows us Tough!

Well…it’s been a day over a week since we’ve arrived…I’m working hard to make our house a home.  It’s so big and big and big – it feels like I’m not really getting anywhere.  But, we are adjusting and getting into our new routine.  Here are a few “new things” we are learning to add to our daily routine:

Movie time in Mama’s bed:

005

Loads of all kinds of things going past us…these are bananas, but so far we’ve seen:  2 dead cows, 4 carts of baby chicks, sheet rock, 10 ft long metal roofing…that’s all I can remember right now:

007

This type of view:

008

Local “barbers”:

009

Where some people live:

011

My “spy movie street” (I always feel like James Bond going down this street):

040

No hardware stores here…EVERYONE is an entrepreneur:

043

Just another view:

044

He was peddling about 8 bags of cement:

045

No…we do not drive like England over here…we just drive wherever we want:

048

“Toilet Paper”…even in public restrooms:

049

For some reason we have a fridge/freezer upstairs:

051

Showers with our “on demand” water heater:

052

These are our closets.  One in each room.  Good thing I paired own before departing the states~!

053

My oven…won’t be roasting any turkey’s for the holidays THIS year….maybe a cornish game hen will fit:

054

Did NOT want to buy silverware in a stand, but that’s all that was offered.  Now I know why.  There are no drawers in the kitchen…so you buy it with a stand and you leave it on the counter:

055

My coffee pot.  You boil water and pour it over the filter with coffee in it…haven’t tried it yet, but hope to soon…just need to find some ground coffee and not “3-in-1” instant coffee:

056

Yep…life is new and exciting over here.  We are all doing well.  I have two new people starting this weekend to help.  A live-in nanny/housekeeper and a nanny for the kids.  Things are looking up!  No more washing and hanging for me…

It’s hard to keep on track with what everyone gets paid over here.  It makes me really sad.  I always bump it up just a bit, but I was told by some locals that I am giving someone a job.  So…thank you for the help and I promise “help” that I will be very kind and fair to you…

3 comments:

  1. I can't get over the no drawers...weird, huh? A frig upstairs for beer and wine I guess. ;o) Keep posting. I so enjoy your adventures!

    You are certainly seeing a whole new side of the earth...I hope you get to make your own coffee soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending out extra love today, know you are on your own. Hope your parents have a safe journey home. Love to you all!

    Love all the new pics!! With each new purchase and room you make your own, you are creating a home out of a house! Filling it with love and new memories to last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Care packages promise to bring big smiles and happy dances.

    ReplyDelete