Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I did it again!! 3 kids on the airplane!

Yep, call me crazy, but I did it again…and I MUST say, it was SO.MUCH.BETTER this time!  One year sure makes a difference…First, I knew where NOT to sit (don’t pick the bulkhead if you are travelling with 3 kids who want to stretch out…sure, you have extra leg room…but NO ONE can lay down!).  Second, my boys are “seasoned travellers”…on any give day in Phnom Penh, you can ask them, “What do you want to do today?” and you will get the response, “Go to the airport and go bye bye on the airplane!!”.  Finally, you just pick flights based on the longest layover (10 hours) in the best airport (Seoul)!  If you’ve only ever travelled domestically, you don’t realize that these big hubs of airports have hotels RIGHT IN THE AIRPORT!  They are a GODSEND! 

We grabbed our stuff for the summer…

111

…and set out for the airport at around 9 pm!  The excitement in the house was undeniable!  These boys love a good airplane ride!!!

172173

Babies, blankies, babas and iPads…what more could a 2 year old ask for?

114115

We arrived in Seoul around 7:30 am and I let the boys sleep so we would be the last ones off the plane…I knew waking them up would be hell for everyone…and really, all we would be rushing to was waiting in the airport!  Last ones thru the transfer security and walked right into the playground, in front of our hotel and next to Dunkin Donuts!!!  We played for an hour, had a snack and found Starbucks!  Bath and naptime afterwards and 5 hours later, it was time to check out and get another coffee and catch our 5:30 pm flight!  Seriously, it is the way to go if travelling with kiddos!  The blackout shades, the bath tub, the TV…the BED…really makes a 10 hour layover TOTALLY doable! 

131116

The long haul flight was totally manageable because Brandon fell asleep before we took off…the when he woke up 3 hours later, Zachary and Trevor crashed…I never really got any sleep on the plane, but I consider it a success when the 40 year old man one row in front of us says to us as we are exiting the plane, “Were you three just on this flight the WHOLE time?  I didn’t hear a peep from you!”…CHECK CHECK CHECK!  My boys are rock star travellers…

136137138141143

We were greeted by AUNTIE PHAVY and hung out all afternoon, trying to stay awake and get acclimated…nice idea, in theory!

Our favorite American things right away…Chipotle, Starbucks and Target…in no particular order!!!

199200201202

We were supposed to drive “home” upon arrival, but I had a hunch that I MIGHT be tired…understatement of the year…I was EXHAUSTED…don’t think I had any sleep for about 52 hours (except the 4 hour nap in Korea!)

206

We all fell asleep around 8…but were awake for a late night party around 2 am to 5:30 am…needless to say, 2 weeks later, we are STILL trying to find a groove!

WELCOME BACK TO AMERICA BOYS!

I am no ashamed to say sitting in my MINI-VAN, with some good old American DJ’s playing on the radio, my boys in the back BUCKLED into their car seats without an easy escape, Toy Story playing on the drop down DVD player, Starbucks in my cup and pulling into a McDonalds DRIVE-THRU (speaking to a robot ordering their food…yep, that’s what they all thought)…I said to myself, “DAMN…it’s good to be HOME!”…

No comments:

Post a Comment